It’s halfway through October. Fall, pretty leaves, pumpkins, apple picking, and your LAST CHANCE to get to the farmers’ market. Yes, I’m talking to you. You who have been meaning to go all year, or have only gone once or twice. It’s your last shot until next May…TAKE IT. Here are just a few reasons why:
- Um, hello? The reason to go to markets any other time of year — the produce! There is still an amazing bounty of vegetables even in October. And the aisles are made even more gorgeous by the decorative and unique pumpkins and gourds everywhere. Don’t forget the tasty veggies you can only find at the end of the year like apples, leeks, and adorable acorn squashes.
- Stock up on tomatoes now or never. It may seem like peak season for tomatoes is ending, and you’re right, but there are still plenty for sale for now! buy them in bulk for canning, roasting, and freezing because I hate to break it to you, but winter is coming. That means no fresh, ripe, delicious tomatoes for NINE MONTHS. I’ll just let that sink in.
- What is better than throwing on scarf, grabbing your market tote, and wandering through the aisles with a warm apple cider/pumpkin spice something/hot cocoa in your hands? Nothing, that’s what. And it behooves you to enjoy the sweater weather outside for now before it turns into never-leave-your-house-again weather real soon.
- Your farmers are counting on you! All the vendors are braving the biting wind and cold both at harvest and at the market itself to bring you fresh, delicious, gourdeous (see what I did there) produce. Are you really just gonna leave them hanging?
- Because it’s a blast. The season is ending and you won’t have the chance to support local farmers, get your food direct from the source, get samples, discover new community groups, and win prizes again until next May. Don’t waste it!
I hope these reasons convinced you to get out there and take part in the last few markets of the year! Your markets and you farmers need you! Show them your support!