For week one of our Kid’s Kits program at the Champaign Farmers Market, we’re bringing you some delicious Baked Zucchini Fries with Sour Cream Ranch Dip. Below you’ll find the recipe and video tutorial for preparing the dish.
The program is funded by the Nutrition Incentive Hub as part of a mini-grant to support our nutrition incentive program during COVID-19. The Land Connection and the Champaign Farmers Market are partnering with Champaign-Urbana Public Health District and Common Ground Food Co-op on the project. The project is also in conjunction with Common Ground’s “Cooking with Kid’s” program.
Baked Zucchini Fries with Sour Cream Ranch Dip
- 2 medium sized bowls
- 2 sheet trays
- parchment paper
- 1 small bowl
Baked Zucchini Fries
- 1 cup finely blended breadcrumbs (panko preferred)
- 1/2 cup packed finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 2 zucchini
- 2 large eggs
Sour Cream Ranch Dip
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp dried dill weed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425° and place parchment paper on two baking sheets.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine finely blended panko, salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, oregano, thyme, basil and a packed ½ cup of grated parmesan. Stir together until blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk two eggs together.
- To prepare the zucchini, cut off the top and bottom of the zucchini. Cut the zucchini in half widthwise. Cut each half zucchini in three cuts lengthwise and cut again lengthwise so you’re left with match sticks about ¼ to ½ inches wide.
- When all zucchinis are cut to resemble fries, individually dip each slice into the whisked egg mixture and then dredge into the spiced breadcrumb mixture. Once zucchini is coated in breadcrumbs, place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and leave ½ inch spacing between each zucchini to ensure they get evenly crispy.
- Place breaded zucchini fries in the preheated oven and bake 25-30 minutes until golden brown, crispy, and the inner zucchini is softened.
- While zucchini fries are baking, get a bowl to make the sourcream ranch. Combine mayo, sourcream, dill weed, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and stir together.
- Serve and eat while hot!