Breakfast can easily be one of the most creative meals of the day; if you have time for it that is. Most people however don’t have time for a nice sit-down breakfast with their family. That doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy typical breakfast food at other times of the day!
This week’s Kid’s Kits shows that a fun, family dinner can be a perfect time to roast some local veggies, scramble some delicious fresh eggs, and enjoy breakfast for dinner! Roasting a variety of vegetables is also a great way to get kids to try new veggies and can always serve as a “refrigerator clean-out” meal when you’ve got a lot of random things left to use.
Breakfast Eggs & Potatoes
- medium knife
- Cutting Board
- Baking Sheet
- medium bowl
- skillet (saute pan)
- wooden spoon (or spatula)
- local eggs
- 1 tab butter
- 2 lbs local potatoes
- 1 local red pepper (sweet)
- 1 local yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig rosemary (1-2 tsp dried rosemary)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the over to 400°F
- Peel and mince (finely chop) the garlic cloves. You can also use a garlic press if you have one.
- Dice up the potatoes, onion, and red pepper into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces; place them in a medium-sized bowl with the minced garlic
- Season the potatoes with salt, pepper, rosemary, paprika and then toss with a little olive oil
- Place the seasoned potatoes and veggies on a sheet tray with parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes, or until they are soft and starting to brown
- Crack as many eggs as your family needs, add a pinch of salt and pepper, and whisk together.
- Warm your skillet over medium heat and add the tab of butter once it is hot
- Once the butter is melted, pour your eggs into the skillet and use a wooden spoon or silicone spatula to stir/scrape the eggs until the are fully cooked
- Serve eggs with roasted vegetables and eat!