The holiday season is all about family, no matter what you observe or believe in, and no matter the size, shape, or composition of your tribe. From October through the middle of January, there is something in the autumn air that brings people together, it seems. Or, maybe it’s just the threat of a chill that drives people to seek warmth together. Who knows.
Either way, sharing food with family and friends is important, and this week’s Kid’s Kit is definitely a recipe you’ll want to pull out several times this holiday season. Plus, your kids will finally learn about a new way to use pumpkins besides carving them or watching squirrels eviscerate them with reckless abandon. Plus, this recipe involves homemade whipped cream, which is pretty much the perfect reason to do anything in the fall.
Pumpkin Carrot Bread
- Cutting Board
- Large Spoon
- Baking Sheet
- Large Bowl
- Box Grater (can also use a hand grater)
- Loaf Pan
- Whisk (can also use a Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer)
Pumpkin Carrot Bread
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup local pumpkin puree (from roasted pie pumpkin)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup local carrots grated
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds / pepitas
- 1 pint Kilgus heavy cream
- 2-3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
Making the Bread
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Using a large chef knife, slice the top and stem off the pie pumpkin. Slice the pumpkin down the middle from top to bottom. Remove the seeds with a spoon.
- Place both halves of pumpkin face down on a baking sheet and roast for 30-40 minutes or until the pumpkin is fully softened. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, add softened butter, brown sugar and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Scoop the roasted pumpkin out of the rind/skin. Add 1 cup of cooled pumpkin puree to the butter and sugar mixture and incorporate/mix together.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Finely shred a cup of carrots and add to the batter along with the pecans. Mix the batter until everything is incorporated.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and top with additional pecans and pumpkin seeds.
- Bake the loaf for 30-45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Let cool 30 minutes. This recipe is extra delicious with butter or whipped cream!
Making the Whipped Cream
- In a large bowl, whip cream with a whisk for a couple of minutes until it starts to thicken into smooth soft peaks.
- Beat in vanilla and powdered sugar until your peaks become a little firmer. Make sure not to over-beat, or the whipped cream will get lumpy and start to become butter!
- Keep refrigerated and use on your Pumpkin Carrot Bread or other autumnal desserts!