Name: Paul Huber
Job location: Madison, Wisconsin
Business name: Rooted
– Rooted evolved from a desire to merge the strengths of two vibrant Madison organizations—Center for Resilient Cities and Community GroundWorks—committed to enabling people to grow and thrive in healthy, equitable, and sustainable neighborhoods. We ground our work in collaborations rooted in food, land, and learning.
– Ours is a firm commitment to building racial equity and inclusion and dismantling racism in our communities, in our education and food systems, in the environmental movement, and within our organization. This is a path of lifelong learning and commitment to action.
ABOUT TROY FARM
– Troy Farm is a vegetable production and education project of Rooted (formerly Community Groundworks). The farm has been growing certified organic vegetables on Madison’s Northside since 2001, and we are proud to be the city’s oldest urban farm. Troy Farm sells produce to farm members and other Madison residents at our on-site farm stand on Thursday evenings and at the Northside Farmers’ Market on Sunday mornings. Through our Urban Farmer Training program, we teach small-scale, organic growing practices and explore the role of urban farms in local food systems and community organizing.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITEIS
The current production of Troy Farm includes 2+ acres of field as well as greenhouse production of certified organic diversified vegetables, fruits, herbs, and flowers. The Troy Farm Manager will work closely with the Troy Farm Director to ensure the production of Troy Farm is aligned with the organization’s commitment to enabling people to grow and thrive in healthy, equitable, and sustainable neighborhoods.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
– Perform tillage, planting, cultivation, pest control, harvesting, washing and packing of produce on 2+ acres of organic cropland and manage crew in these tasks
– Help manage greenhouse operations and crew to perform tasks including both seedling and inground production.
– Keep production records including: harvest records, field work logs, equipment maintenance logs, etc.
– Execute weekly production priorities and goals and manage crew in these tasks.
– Implement production quality standards in accordance with the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
– Assist with the development of new infrastructure and capital improvements, as needed.
– Ensure that farm organic certification and WI food safety licensing requirements are met and maintained.
– Manage Farm crew in all aspects of production and processing.
– Attend Rooted staff meetings.
– Act as ambassador of Rooted through effective communication of the organization’s mission and programs.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
– This position requires a minimum of one season of experience in commercial vegetable production; or equivalent.
– Ability to operate farm equipment, including a 16ft. box truck, four-wheel tractor, two-wheel tractor, and other farm equipment.
– Experience supervising employees and/or volunteers.
– Ability and willingness to work in all weather conditions.
– Ability to lift 50 lbs.
– Organizational and communication skills and an ability to follow through on commitments, responsibilities, and tasks.
– Commitment to mission and values of Rooted, including social justice racial equity.
– Experience working with diverse groups of people in community settings a plus
– Experience working with and maintaining small scale farm equipment and tools a plus
– Proficient use of Microsoft Excel and other office software a plus
– Experience working with non-profit organizations a plus.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / REQUIREMENTS
– Must have access to reliable transportation, and provide a copy of a valid driver’s license.
– This position is FLSA Non-Exempt LTE, Full time (40 hrs./week) March – November 10, 2020.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION STATEMENT
– Rooted is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. We strongly encourage applications from diverse applicants of all ages. Rooted is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Salary: Starting salary of $13/hour