Name: Traci Barkley
Job location: Urbana, Illinois
Business name: Sola Gratia Farm
Job/volunteer description: Location: Urbana, Illinois
Start date: Mid-April 2020
Hourly wage, starting at $12/hr.
We seek a Wash/Pack Manager for our 12 acre not-for-profit community vegetable farm. Experience in working on a CSA farm or vegetable farm that follows organic practices in the Midwest is important. Experience with food safety, selling, postharvest handling and packing produce is a must. Preference is given to candidates who have expertise and experience working at comparable farm operations. Also important is the ability to work effectively with multiple managers, managing staff and volunteers, maintaining a focus on the farm mission and achieving CSA, retail, wholesale and food donation goals.
SOLA GRATIA FARM:
Sola Gratia Farm is unique in many ways. We are a community mission-based farm started by St. Matthew Lutheran Church, dedicated to producing locally-grown, high-quality produce following organic practices. The farm is committed to helping those who lack adequate food resources by donating at least ten percent of our product to support regional hunger programs, such as Eastern Illinois Foodbank and Daily Bread Soup Kitchen. We grow a wide range of produce to support our 150 member Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, two farmers markets and several retail and wholesale clients. We operate a robust volunteer program and have many established and active community partnerships. The Farm promotes healthy lifestyles and community building through volunteering and service, special events and outreach and education programs. More information at www.solagratiacsa.com
The Wash/Pack Manager will work closely with the Sola Gratia Farm Manager and Director. The responsibilities of the Wash/Pack Manager will include:
● management of the wash/pack shed including staff and volunteer oversight, adherence to food safety plan, washing and packing of produce for CSA, retail and wholesale outlets;
● assisting in weekly planning, preparation and distribution of shares for a 200- member CSA;
● co-manage wholesale program including communication, marketing, packing, delivery and sales;
● co-manage retail program including communication, marketing, packing, delivery and sales;
● co-coordination of donations to the Eastern Illinois Foodbank and other local food assistance programs;
● assisting in promotion of the farm at farmers markets, farm activities, and community events.
Send cover letter and resume to Traci Barkley, Sola Gratia Farm, 2200 S. Philo Rd., Urbana, IL 61802 or electronically to email@example.com. Early applications encouraged with interviews slated for late January and early February. Call 217-367-1189 with any questions.
Salary: Starting at $12/hr.