Name: Leslie Cooperband
Job location: Champaign, Illinois
Business name: Prairie Fruits Farm & Creamery, LLC
Job/volunteer description: Prairie Fruits Farm & Creamery, a Grade A Commercial Goat Dairy, in Champaign, IL, is looking for someone to milk goats part-time and help with routine dairy chores. Our goats are milked twice daily, seven days/week (5:00 AM and 5:00 pm) using a pipeline milking system. We are milking 108 goats this year.
1) parlor set-up and actual milking (should take 1.5-2 hours for 108 goats)
2) parlor clean up and running of CIP (clean in place) system
3) feeding goats and routine clean up (providing hay and grain as needed to all stock, removing waste hay, refreshing bedding, cleaning waterers)
Additional activities related to barn clean-up, maintenance and other goat husbandry activities (hoof trimming, routine health checks/maintenance) may be included, as time permits.
1) Prior milking experience (either cow or goat) is preferred but not essential
2) Excellent observational skills, attention to detail, ability to learn & master multiple tasks in a timely manner
3) Ability to be on your feet for 2-3 hours; ability to lift and carry 50 lbs. (feed bags, hay bales, minerals etc.)
4) Prior livestock experience-either hobby or in a commercial setting preferred (even if not dairy)
5) Must be punctual and have a good attitude and be willing to work in a team setting
6) Must commit to at least one full year of employment
We require a minimum of 4 shifts per week. If interested, please send a letter of interest, current resume and list of three professional references (with emails and phone numbers) to Erica Peters: firstname.lastname@example.org