This recipe was originally developed as part of our Kids Kits 2021 program.
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Cutting Board
- Juicer (optional)
- 2.5 cups cantaloupe (about ½ a medium cantaloupe), diced (1/4 inch)
- 1/4 cup sweet or red onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cucumber diced (1/4 inch)
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil or cilantro finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- black pepper freshly ground, to taste
- Cut the cantaloupe in half from end to end, remove the seeds and pulp from the center with a spoon and discard the seeds and pulp. Place half of the cantaloupe face down on the cutting board and remove the rind with a knife. Dice the cantaloupe into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Peel the cucumber. Cut the cucumber in half from end to end and use a spoon to remove the seeds from the each half. Discard the seeds and the rind/skin. Dice the cucumber into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Dice the onion into the smallest pieces that you are comfortable cutting and then use your knife to chop the pile of diced onion until the pieces are smaller than a 1/4-inch dice.
- Chop or tear the basil into small ribbons or pieces. Or, chop the cilantro as small as you want it to be.
- Mix everything together in the large bowl and serve.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips or over grilled fish or chicken.