Summer is finally here and we can start enjoying the deliciously light and complex flavor that exemplifies the warmth and vibrancy of the summer sun.
This recipe was originally developed as part of our Kids Kits 2021 program, with financial support from Community Foundation of East Central Illinois and Office of the Illinois State Treasurer Michael Frerichs.
Massaged Kale Salad
- Cutting Board
- Large Bowl
- 1 bunch Kale (about 4 cups) stems removed
- 1 Lemon zested and juiced
- 2-4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3-4 Scallions / Green Onions
- 2-3 tbsp Dried Cranberries
- 2-3 tbsp Parmesan Cheese
- Wash the kale under cold running water. Shake the leaves dry or pat them dry with a paper towel or dish cloth (you just don’t want them dripping wet).
- De-stem (remove the tough stem) from each leaf of kale and save for later or discard. Tear or chop the leaves into bite-sized pieces. (this step is not necessary if you are using baby kale)
- Place chopped kale in a large bowl; drizzle olive oil and lemon juice onto the kale; use clean hands to “massage” the kale for 3-5 minutes. Let kale rest at room temperature for up to 1 hour.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and toss to combine.
- Eat and enjoy!