Are you interested in selling your locally grown or produced items at the Champaign Farmers Market? We invite you to apply on Manage My Market!
The Land Connection envisions a community-based food system in which every farmer has the opportunity to grow food in a sustainable manner and every person can access local, healthy foods. Your participation in the Champaign Farmers Market takes us one step further toward making that vision a reality.
- The Champaign Farmers Market is a producer-only market, which means all items must be grown, raised, or produced by the vendor..
- We are also a food and farm-products only market. Farm products include wool, plants, or products made from milk, honey, or flowers that are grown or raised by the vendor.
- Preference will be given to support small, family farms who use sustainable practices.
- To qualify for the market, producers must be based within 150 miles of Champaign-Urbana.
- The number of value-added vendors will be limited to no more than 20% of the market, and preference will be given to value-added food vendors who:
- grow at least a portion of the fruits/vegetables used in their products or
- source ingredients from fellow Champaign Farmers Market vendors.
- All vendors must have an Illinois Business Tax (IBT) number before their first day of sales at the Market
- All local, state, and federal food/health safety requirements must be met prior to selling at the Market. If you are applying for a permit, please allow at least 30 working days for any health department reviews and inspections.
- Generally, produce sold at the Champaign Farmers Market should:
- Be of the highest and freshest quality possible
- Reflect Midwest seasonality
- Be from a small farm or small-scale artisanal food producer
- Not be labeled “organic” unless the farm has been certified by a USDA approved third party certifying agency. If the farm is certified organic, they must follow USDA Organic Labeling requirements.
- Food Trucks will be permitted through sponsorship agreements. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Priority will be given to food trucks who grow at least a portion of the product used in their food or source ingredients from Champaign Farmers Market vendors. All food trucks must display signage indicating what local farmers source their ingredients.
- The market will operate every scheduled Tuesday from 3:30 – 6:30 p.m. rain or shine.
- Electricity will be available to vendors on a limited basis. Requests for electrical access must be made with the Market Manager prior to Market day.
- All vendors selling SNAP-eligible products must participate in the Land Connection’s Link incentive program.
- All vendors must maintain liability insurance coverage for the Market and must share a copy of the policy with the Land Connection prior to selling at the Market.
- The Market works with local social service agencies to collect donations of leftover produce at the end of each market day. We appreciate your support of the community, however vendors are under no obligation to donate leftover product.
- Musicians are welcome to play at the market, as space allows. Performers can check in with The Land Connection staff at the Market, or email email@example.com to reserve a spot.
Read the full 2019 Land Connection Champaign Farmers Market Vendor Handbook for an example of our policies. Some policies subject to change in 2019.